26 August, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux #1
Genre: Science Fiction, Romance
Format: ebook, Published May 8, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Rating: 4/5 stars

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is. - Summary from Goodreads

My Review

This book is a whole lotta snarky dialogue and spiffy sci fi. It's like I Am Number Four and Twilight had a baby and it is far more attractive than its parents. Katy is a normal girl, a book blogger, and high school student who moves in next door to aliens. Just being around their extra-terrestrial powers marks her and makes her visible to their rival aliens who would use her to get to Daemon and his sister Dee. Not to mention, humans who find out about the aliens often end up disappearing.

The characters in this book are its bread and butter. My favourite character is most definitely Dee. She's such a loveable and bubbly person, but you know she's a lot more complicated than that. The main character, Katy, is also one of the most relatable characters I've read in awhile. It's refreshing to read a main character and not think 'No, dummy! What are you doing!?'. Daemon is something different all together. He reminds me of that boy on the playground who is so mean because he's got a big fat crush on you. His sass and angst doesn't really bother me like it does some people, in fact I think it adds fuel to the fire in a really good way. 

The world building in this book was pretty darn spot-on. I can't wait to read more about these Luxen aliens made of light. I really enjoyed the writing in this book. This may be my first Jennifer Armentrout book, but it won't be my last. This book was so entertaining and easy to read! I didn't give it five stars because most of the main plot was rather predictable after a while. That being said, it didn't stop me from wanting to keep reading it! If you're looking for a saucy YA romance book, this is definitely one for you! Highly recommended.



1 comment:

  1. Dee is my favorite character too!
    I just loved this series!
    Great review ^^
    I am a new follower of yours!
    If you could follow me back that would be great!
    http://littlehyuts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments! I really do read every single one and I strive to respond to each comment that needs a response (and many more!).