07 July, 2012

Review: Torment by Lauren Kate

Book 2 in the Fallen Series
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Format: Audiobook
Released September 28, 2010 by Listening Library
Find Lauren Kate: Twitter // Goodreads Page // Website
Find the book: Goodreads // Amazon UK // Audible
My Review of Fallen (Fallen #1)

Hell on earth.
That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.
At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?
The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.
The premise of reincarnated love and angels hooked me from the beginning of the series and it hasn't let me go yet! This book seriously furthered the world building of the fallen angels. It's darker, but somehow more light-hearted at the same time. I hope that makes sense. Luce is now surrounded by happier people than she was at Sword and Cross, but she's changed a lot. Now moodier than ever, Luce tries in vain to get answers about her relationship with Daniel and tries to seek out her countless past lives.

As much as I love Lauren Kate's angels, I didn't like Luce in this book. This book took place over just eighteen days and Luce's maturity level lowered with each one. It was like a constant battle between Daniel and Luce trying to get her to stay put in a place where she was told she would be safe. Luce constantly places herself in danger because she's mad at Daniel for keeping her in the dark for just a few days. I feel as though she's turned into a clichéd human girl in a paranormal romance, placing herself in danger and then requiring the romantic interest to constantly save her. What a shame!

I hope the next book will show Luce's stubbornness in a better light that won't make her seem as whiny. The premise is just so addictive, that I know I will keep reading the series. Lauren Kate writes in a way where I simply have to know more. I've not read a series I've been so love/hate with, but I have to keep reading!

*Audio Review*: I liked the narrator just as much in this book as I did in the first. She's simply a great narrator and makes it worth while to listen to the novel on audiobook!

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars



0 comments:

I love receiving comments! I really do read every single one and I strive to respond to each comment that needs a response (and many more!).