16 March, 2012

In My Mailbox (#1)

I've decided to jump on the In My Mailbox meme bandwagon. It's a meme hosted by The Story Siren where bloggers post their book hauls. For now, my posts won't be structured weekly, but as and when I purchase books. If the library system was better where I lived, I'd also include those. But, alas, the book availability is something to be desired!

This week I purchased two books. I'll go ahead and let you know my first impressions. Judge the book by the cover, as it were.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
First Published Feb 1, 2011

"They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years suffocated by a lie."  - Back Cover
My first impressions are pretty good. I've read some great reviews and it seems like the genre I'm usually interested in. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is the quote on the back from Grazia describing this book as a "Margaret Atwood meets Twilight novel." I hope it isn't too hokey of a romance, though you'd think I knew I was getting myself into a romance with this book's premise! I'm very picky when it comes to a romance in a novel! Since some people described it as an unputdownable dystopian, I had to secure myself a copy.

Maze Runner by James Dashner
First Published October 6, 2009

"When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas can remember is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade, and encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible maze. Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there, or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, the will risk everything to find out." -Back Cover
I first heard of this book about a year ago. I've been putting off reading it, because I had a stack of books already and I was right in the heart of starting my dissertation for my masters degree. Blech. Good thing I have it now! I have such huge expectations for this book and I hope it doesn't let me down. It seems rather Hunger Games-esque in terms of adolescents trying to survive some sort of maze that reminds me of an arena. Also, can I just say that I prefer the original cover to this one I purchased? It's not a scenic. But, hey ho, you get what you get in the UK. Nevertheless, I'm definitely excited and now it comes down to the inevitable question of which do I read first?


0 comments:

I love receiving comments! I really do read every single one and I strive to respond to each comment that needs a response (and many more!).